The United States has officially given the nod for the delivery of Abrams tanks to Ukraine.
About M1 Abrams Tank
- It is the United States main battle tank.
- The first M1 tank was manufactured by General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLS) in 1978 and was delivered to the US Army in 1980.
- It was named in honor to General Abrams, commander of US forces during the Vietnam War.
- The export version of the Abrams is used by the armies of Australia, Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Poland, and Saudi Arabia.
Features of M1 Abrams Tank
- It uses a powerful and complex turbine engine that produces 1,500 horsepower and requires four persons to operate.
- It is one of the heaviest tanks in service at nearly 62 metric tons.
- The M1 tanks have a maximum speed of 45.
- Armament: The Abrams is armed with a 120 mm main gun and .50 caliber and 7.62 mm machine guns.
- It can destroy tank-size targets at a range of 2 km while firing on the move.
- In modern versions of the Abrams tank, there are layers of depleted uranium armour which provides substantial protection to those inside.
Q1) What is a turbine engine?
A turbine engine, also known as a gas turbine engine or jet engine, is a type of internal combustion engine that converts fuel into mechanical energy in the form of a high-speed rotating shaft. It is commonly used in aviation for propulsion of aircraft, but it also has various other applications, including power generation, marine propulsion, and industrial processes.