- Dr Vinaya Prakash Singh, erstwhile Member (Personnel) of, the Postal Services Board will take over the charge of Secretary General of the Union for a tenure of 4 years.
What is APPU?
- Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) is an intergovernmental organization of 32 member countries of the Asian-Pacific region.
- It is the only Restricted Union of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in the region, which is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- Goal: To extend, facilitate and improve postal relations between member countries and to promote cooperation in the field of postal services.
- As the regional centre for various UPU projects, it also takes the lead in ensuring that all technical and operational projects of the UPU are fulfilled in the region so that the region is integrated into the global postal network in the best possible way.
- The APPU is made up of the three bodies
- Congress: It is the supreme organ of the Union and meets not later than 2 years after the UPU congress
- Executive Council: It comprises all members and meets every year to ensure the work of the union.
- APPU Bureau: It serves as a body for liaison, information, inquiry and training for members.
- Secretary General leads the activities of the Union and is also the Director of the Asian Pacific Postal College (APPC) which is the largest intergovernmental postal training institute in the region.
Q1) Which Governor General started the Postal service in India?
The Postal Service in India was started by Lord Dalhousie, who was the Governor General of British India in 1854.
Source: India takes over leadership of the Asian Pacific Postal Union