Senior Airbus officials recently said that a fully operational factory will be in place in Vadodara in Gujarat by November 2024, from where the first Indian-made C295 military transport aircraft will start rolling out 2026 onward.
About C295 Transport Aircraft:
- It is a new-generation tactical airlifter in the light and medium segment that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
- It was designed and built by Airbus, a European multinational aerospace corporation.
- It is robust and reliable but also highly versatile in terms of the number of different missions it can perform.
- The aircraft, with a flight endurance of up to 11 hours, can carry out multi-role operations under all weather conditions.
- It has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and cargo.
- Short take-off/land from semi-prepared surfaces is another of its features.
Types of Missions:
- It is known to be a superior aircraft used for tactical transport of up to 71 troops or 50 paratroopers.
- Air-to-Air refuelling: It can be converted into an air tanker that can deliver up to 6,000 kg of gasoline to fixed and rotary wing receivers by adding a detachable refuelling kit.
- Airborne Early Warning (AEW): It has a cutting-edge radar with 360-degree coverage to give a complete picture of the airspace in its Airborne Early Warning variant.
- Water-Bomber: It can be transformed into a powerful water bomber that can put out forest fires with up to 7,000 litres of water due to a flexible roll-on/roll-off system.
- Armed/Ground ISR (Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance): A close-air-support operation that uses an ISR with a multi-mission radar that can also be weaponized.
- The aircraft can be utilised for casualty or medical evacuation as well as airdropping loads and paratroopers.
- It is equipped to handle special missions, disaster relief operations, and maritime patrol responsibilities.
Q) What is Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C)?
Airborne Early Warning & Control System (AEW&C), is a force multiplier system for detecting & tracking enemy/hostile aircrafts/ UAVs etc. It also enables operators onboard and on ground to identify, assess the threat and take actions to guide our interceptors to neutralize those threats.