Researchers at the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru recently revealed that the Dengue virus in India has evolved dramatically.
About Dengue Fever:
- It is an illness spread by the bite of mosquitos infected with one of the dengue viruses.
- It is spread by Aedes mosquitos, which also carry viruses like Zika and chikungunya.
- The virus is most commonly found in tropical and subtropical regions, including Central and South America, Africa, parts of Asia and the Pacific Islands.
- Mild dengue fever causes a high fever and flu-like symptoms.
- The severe form of dengue fever, also called dengue hemorrhagic fever, can cause serious bleeding, a sudden drop in blood pressure (shock) and death.
- It isn’t contagious from person to person except when passed from a pregnant person to their child.
- Treatment: There is no specific treatment for dengue. The focus is on treating pain symptoms.
Q1) What is chikungunya?
Chikungunya is a disease transmitted to humans by mosquitoes in Africa, Asia, and the Americas; sporadic outbreaks have been reported in other regions.There is currently no approved vaccine or specific treatment for chikungunya virus infections.