The US Military recently posted pictures of a powerful bomb called the GBU-57, designed to penetrate deep into the earth and destroy underground facilities.
- It is known as the “Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)".
- It is a GPS-guided, earth-penetrating strike weapon for use against hard and deeply buried targets.
- MOP is one of the most powerful non-nuclear bombs in the world.
- It is manufactured by Boeing and used by the United States Air Force.
- It is used to destroy deeply entrenched enemy bunkers such as those concealing a supply of weapons of mass destruction (WMD).
- The bomb is 20.5 feet long with a diameter of 31.5 inches.
- Weight: 14,000 kg
- The warhead case is made from a special high-performance steel alloy that can reportedly penetrate up to 200 feet of concrete.
- MOP is carried by the B-2 Spirit bomber, which can carry two of the bombs at a time
- The bomb is equipped with a delayed-action fuse, allowing the warhead to survive the impact, not detonating until the bomb has stopped traveling underground.
Q1) What are Weapons of mass destruction (WMD)?
A weapon of mass destruction is a nuclear, radiological, chemical, biological, or other device that is intended to harm a large number of people.