About Kangra Tea:
- It is a type of tea produced in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh.
- It is a high-quality tea that is known for its unique flavour, aroma, and colour.
- It is made from the leaves, buds, and tender stems of the Camellia sinensis species cultivated in the Kangra valley.
- Black tea and green tea have both been cultivated in the Kangra Valley.
- In India, Kangra tea received the Geographical Indication (GI) designation in 2005.
- Kangra tea leaves are narrow and have a multi-stemmed frame.
- Green tea has a subtle woody aroma, while black tea has a sweet, lasting aftertaste.
- It has a light colour and a high body in liquor.
Q1) What is Geographical Indication (GI)?
A geographical indication (GI) is a distinctive sign used to identify a product whose quality, reputation or other such characteristics relate to its geographical origin.GI status gives consumers a guarantee of authenticity, quality and distinctiveness linked to origin.