The Defence Ministry recently decided to drop the Microsoft operating system and go for a local one named Maya operating system.
About Maya OS
- It is a new Operation System (OS) based on an open-source platform.
- It has the interface and all functionality like Windows and users will not feel much difference as they transition to it.
- Maya was developed by government development agencies within six months.
- Aim: To prevent malware attacks and other cyberattacks which had seen a steep increase.
- Currently, Maya is being installed only in Defence Ministry systems and not on computers connected to the networks of the three Services.
What is an Operating System (OS)?
- An OS is a software program that acts as an intermediary between computer hardware and the computer user.
- It provides a user-friendly interface and manages the hardware and software resources of a computer system.
- In essence, an operating system enables a user to interact with a computer and run applications efficiently.
- An OS, after being initially loaded into the computer by a boot program, manages all of the other application programs in a computer.
Q1) What is Malware?
Malware is a broad term used to describe malicious software that is specifically designed to harm, exploit, or compromise computer systems, networks, and devices. It encompasses various types of harmful software that cybercriminals use to gain unauthorized access, steal sensitive information, disrupt operations, or carry out other malicious activities. Malware can affect personal computers, servers, mobile devices, and even entire networks.