The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has taken a number of initiatives to empower women through the schemes and programmes implemented in the country.
About Mission Shakti:
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has formulated ‘Mission Shakti’, an Integrated Women Empowerment Programme, as Umbrella Scheme for the Safety, Security and Empowerment of Women for implementation during the 15th Finance Commission period.
- It aims at strengthening interventions for safety, security and empowerment of women in a mission mode through institutional and convergence mechanism for greater efficiency, effectiveness and financial prudence.
- The Umbrella Scheme of Mission Shakti has two sub-schemes namely:
- "Sambal" for safety and security of women and "Samarthya" for empowerment of women.
- Under 'Samarthya' sub- scheme, a new component i.e. Hub for Empowerment of Women (HEW)has been included with the aim to facilitate inter-sectoral convergence of schemes and programs meant for women at the Central, State/ UT and District levels for creating an environment in which women are able to realize their full potential.
- The support under the HEW provides for guiding, linking and hand holding women to various institutional and schematic set ups for their empowerment and development including access to healthcare, quality education, career and vocational counselling/ training, financial inclusion, entrepreneurship, backward and forward linkages, health and safety for workers, social security and digital literacy at districts/ Blocks/ Gram Panchayats level across the country.
Q1) What are the components of the Sambal sub-scheme of Mission Shakti?
The components of 'Sambal' sub-scheme consist of erstwhile schemes of One Stop Centre (OSC), Women Helpline (WHL), Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) with a new component of Nari Adalats.
Q2) What are the components of the Samarthya sub-scheme of Mission Shakti?
The components of 'Samarthya' sub-scheme consist of erstwhile schemes of Ujjwala, Swadhar Greh and Working Women Hostel with modifications. In addition, the existing schemes of National Creche Scheme for children of working mothers and Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) along with a new component of Gap Funding for Economic Empowerment have also been included in Samarthya.