India has launched 'Operation Dost' to extend assistance to Turkey and Syria, the nations hit by an intense 7.9-magnitude earthquake.
About Operation Dost:
- It is an ongoing search and rescue mission initiated by the Government of India to help Syria and Turkey, after they witnessed a massive earthquake that left thousands dead, injured and trapped under the rubble.
- Under operation dost, India has sent search and rescue teams, mainly teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), materials, medicines,medical equipment and consumables to Turkey and Syria.
- The NDRF teams comprise dog squad, medicines, blankets, four wheelers.
- The Indian Army's team of medical specialists is providing relief to the injured at a field hospital set up in Turkey's Hatay. The hospital is running with medical, surgical and emergency wards.
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF):
- It is India's specialized force for responding to natural disastersand chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear defense (CBRN) emergencies.
- The force was constituted under the Disaster Management Act of 2005.
- NDRF is a force of 12 battalions, organised on para-military lines, and manned by persons on deputation from the para-military forces of India:
Q1) What is an Earthquake?
An earthquake is the sudden release of strain energy in the Earth’s crust, resulting in waves of shaking that radiate outwards from the earthquake source.These waves are what makes the ground shake and can travel large distances in all directions.