Russian forces will soon be armed with a new air-launched rocket with the S-8OFP entering production.
- It is an 80mm unguided rocket developed primarily for the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
- It is an air-to-surface rocket intended for both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.
- It was designed by Splav Corporation, Russia.
- It is designed to hit sole and multiple targets, unarmored and lightly-armored military hardware, as well as surface ships.
- The S-80FP can detonate before hitting the target, on impact or after penetrating the target.
- It has a total weight of 17 kg and its warhead of 9.5 kg.
Q1) What is a rotary-wing aircraft?
A rotorcraft or rotary-wing aircraft is a heavier-than-air flying machine that uses lift generated by wings, called rotor blades, that revolve around a mast. Several rotor blades mounted on a single mast are referred to as a rotor.