Recently, a team of researchers from Christian Medical College in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, and PGIMER Chandigarh found that an antibiotic combo is best for severe scrub typhus.
About Scrub Typhus:
- Scrub typhus is a life-threatening infection caused by Orientia tsutsugamushi bacteria which is a major public health threat in South and Southeast Asia.
- It is spread to people through bites of infected chiggers (larval mites).
- Symptoms: The most common symptoms of scrub typhus include fever, headache, body aches, and sometimes rash.
- Treatment: Scrub typhus should be treated with the antibiotic doxycycline. Doxycycline can be used in persons of any age.
- There is no vaccine available for this disease.
What is Typhus Fever?
- Typhus fevers are a group of diseases caused by bacteria that include epidemic typhus, scrub typhus, and murine typhus.
- Epidemic typhus is caused due to Rickettsia prowazeki and spread by body lice.
- Scrub typhus is caused due to Orientia tsutsugamushi and spread by chiggers.
- Murine typhus is caused due to Rickettsia typhi spread by fleas.
Q1) What are Chiggers?
These are tiny mites that live outdoors in grassy or wooded areas near water. They thrive in warm temperatures, especially during the summer months and attach to your clothes and bite your skin.