About Senna Spectabilis:
- Senna spectabilis is an invasive species.
- It is introduced as an ornamental species and for use as firewood from South and Central America.
- The species has become highly invasive in the Sigur plateau in both the core and buffer zones of the MTR.
- Senna spectabilis, along with Lantana camara, is among five major invasive weeds that had taken over vast swathes of the Nilgiris.
- Eucalyptus and pine, though exotic, do not spread as quickly as the other species and are considered easier to manage.
Mudumalai Tiger Reserve:
- Mudumalai Tiger Reserve is located in the Nilgiris District of Tamil Nadu.
- It is at the tri-junction of three states, viz, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu and it plays an unique role by forming part of the Nilgiris Biosphere Reserve, the first Biosphere Reserve in India, declared during 1986.
- It has a common boundary with Wyanad Wildlife Sanctuary (Kerala) on the West, Bandipur Tiger Reserve (Karnataka) on the North, and the Nilgiris North Division on the South and East and Gudalur Forest Division on the South West, together forming a large conservation landscape for flagship species such as Tiger and Asian Elephant.
Source : The Hindu