NASA recently announced the crew that will fly aboard its Artemis II mission.
About Artemis II Mission:
- It will be the first mission to carry humans to the moon's vicinity since 1972.
- It is the second scheduled flight of the Artemis program and the first crewed Artemis mission.
- During Artemis II, four astronauts will fly around the moon before returning to Earth.
- It will use the huge Space Launch System (SLS) megarocket and Orion spacecraft to launch the crew on the lunar flyby mission.
- The astronauts and mission controllers will collect data on Orion and the crew's performance to assess how ready the Artemis program is to send people to the moon's surface.
Key Facts of Artemis Program:
- It is NASA's program to return astronauts to the Moon, preparing the way for human missions to Mars.
- It aim to "land the first woman and first person of colour on the Moon", explore the lunar surface.
- The Artemis program includes the construction of the Lunar Gateway space station in orbit around the Moon.
- Artemis I: An uncrewed test flight of the Orion spacecraft, launched on the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket on November 16, 2022.
Q1) What is the Orion spacecraft?
Orion is NASA’s spacecraft to send humans into space. It is designed to send astronauts farther into space than ever before, to the Moon and beyond. When they return to Earth, the astronauts will enter our atmosphere at speeds over 32 000 km/h but the capsule will protect them and ensure a bumpy but safe landing