About Mahila Samman Saving Certificate’ Scheme:
- The scheme offers deposit facility up to Rs 2 lakh in the name of women or girls for a tenor of 2 years.
- It offers fixed interest rate of 7.5 per cent.
- There are no tax benefits, but partial withdrawal is allowed in this scheme.
- This is a one-time scheme announced in Budget 2023 and will remain available for a two-year period i.e. up to March 2025.
- Benefit: It will encourage more women to adopt formal financial saving instruments.
Q1: What is the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
It is a government-backed small deposit scheme for a girl child. A Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened any time after the birth of a girl child till she turns 10. The account will remain operative for 21 years from the date of its opening or till the marriage of the girl after she turns 18. To meet the requirement of the child's higher education expenses, partial withdrawal of 50 per cent of the balance is allowed after she turns 18.