Recently, the two-day Urban 20 Mayoral Summit which was hosted by the chair city Ahmedabad, in Gandhinagar from 7-8 July, concluded with the handover of the Communiqué from the Mayors to G20 leaders.
About Urban 20 (U20) Summit:
- It is a city diplomacy initiative launched on December 12, 2017, at the One Planet Summit in Paris.
- It provides a platform for cities from G20 countries to facilitate discussions on various important issues of urban development including climate change, social inclusion, sustainable mobility, and affordable housing, and propose collective solutions.
- C40 Cities (C40) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) convene the U20 under the leadership of a Chair city that rotates annually, based in the G20 host country.
- This year it was chaired by the City of Ahmedabad.
- The Communique was officially endorsed by 105 cities across the world, the highest ever number of endorsements received to date for any U20 Communiqué, and more than twice the number of endorsements for any previous communiqués.
- The Communiqué has been drafted as an action agenda for the six priorities identified collectively by U20 cities which include;
- Encouraging environmentally responsible behaviours, accelerating climate finance, championing local culture and economy, ensuring water security, catalysing digital urban futures, and reinventing frameworks for urban planning and governance.
Q1) What is Climate change?
Climate change refers to long-term shifts in global or regional climate patterns, primarily caused by human activities, especially the emission of greenhouse gases (GHGs) into the atmosphere. These changes have significant impacts on the Earth's ecosystems, weather patterns, and human societies.