Union Minister of Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship recently launched the EdCIL Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme.
About Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme:
- This initiative guarantees access to high-quality learning systems by facilitating a seamless transition from secondary to higher education and extending financial support for the meritorious Navodaya Vidyalaya studentswho lack means.
- It symbolises a whole-of-society approach to empowerment through access to and opportunities for education, particularly to students belonging to economically disadvantaged sections.
- The Vidyanjali programme intends to garner assistance and funding from nongovernment partners and private sources such as CSR grants, national and international donors, and impact investors.
- The beneficiaries of the Vidyanjali programme in its initial phase will be students of grades Xl and Xll studying in Navodaya Vidyalayas across the country.
- A fintech platform has been specifically curated under Vidyanjali, and the sponsorship will be disbursed to students through this platform as Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- This platform will be instrumental in capturing data, receiving, hosting, and viewing student applications,tracking student progress, tracking grant disbursement, monitoring fund utilisation, generating impact reports towards SDG realisation, individual mentions of notable student achievement, and publicly acknowledging the support of the funders, among other platform utilities.
What is EdCIL?
- Educational Consultants India Limited (EdCIL) is the only Public Sector Undertakingunder the Ministry of Education, Government of India.
- It was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956, on June 17, 1981.
- It is categorized as a 'Mini Ratna Organisation' by the Government of India.
- It offers consultancy and technical servicesin different areas of Education and Human Resource Development not only within the country but also on a global basis.
- Clients of EdCIL include most State and Central Govt. Departments including MHRD, PSUs, and autonomous bodies including IITs, IIMs, IIITs, Kendriya Vidyalaya, and Navodaya Vidyalaya.
Q1: What are Navodaya Vidyalayas?
Navodaya Vidyalayas are affiliated to CBSE and offer free education to talented children from Class-VI to XII. Each Navodaya Vidyalaya is a co-educational residential institution providing free boarding and lodging, free school uniforms, text books, stationery, and to and fro rail and bus fare to students. These are managed and run by the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD).