The recent Asian Waterbird Census conducted in the Saman Bird sanctuary revealed that there has been a decline in the number of migratory bird species from North Asia and Central Asia.
About Saman Bird sanctuary:
- The Saman Bird Sanctuary in the Mainpuri district of Uttar Pradesh is a seasonal oxbow lake on the Ganges floodplain.
- It is designated as Ramasar wetland in 2019.
- It is heavily reliant on the arrival of the south-westerly monsoon in July and August, which provides the vast majority of annual rainfall.
- The Sanctuary regularly provides refuge to over 50,000 waterbirds
- It is an important wintering site for many migrating birds including the greylag goose (Anser anser), with over 1% of the South Asian population present during winter.
- Vulnerable species including the sarus crane and greater spotted eagle are also found in this wetland.
Q1) What is an oxbow lake?
An oxbow lake is a type of lake which is formed when a wide meander from a stream or a river is cut off to form a lake.