Recently, to highlight the impact of women in sanitation and waste management, the Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs announced the ‘Women Icons Leading Swachhata’ (WINS) Awards 2023
About WINS Awards 2023:
- The WINS Awards 2023 aims to recognize celebrate and disseminate inspiring and exemplary initiatives in urban sanitation and waste management by women-led organizations and individual women.
- Applications for the Awards are open to Self-Help Groups (SHGs), Micro-enterprises, Non-Government Organisations, Startups and Individual Women Leaders/Swachhata champions.
- Applications will be considered under the thematic areas of Management of Community/Public Toilets Septic Tanks, Cleaning Services Treatment Facilities (Used Water/Septage), Municipal Water collection and /or Transportation, Operation of Material Recovery Facilities and Others.
- Process: The Application Form will be made available to all States.
- States & Cities will publicize details of WINS Awards 2023 via their website, portals, and social media.
- Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) will evaluate entries & nominate up to 5 applicants to the State via the Swachhatam portal.
- ULBs can organize public felicitation of their nominees as city winners.
- ULB-wise nominations will be evaluated at the State level. Up to 3 entries in each category will be nominated by the State to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- A state can organize public felicitation of nominees as State winners.
- State nominations will be evaluated at the national level on their innovativeness, impact, uniqueness, sustainability & replicability.
- At the national level, the MoHUA team will set up a Jury to evaluate the applications and select winners in each category.
- The Jury shall comprise stakeholders from cities and States, independent experts, brand ambassadors, influencers and industry representatives. Winning entries will be featured in a compendium.
Q1) What is Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM)?
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, or Clean India Mission is a country-wide campaign initiated by the Government of India in 2014 to eliminate open defecation and improve solid waste management.