Recently, the United Nations World Food Programme has said it is temporarily suspending food aid to Ethiopia because its supplies are being diverted.
About World Food Programme:
- It is a branch of the United Nations that deals with hunger eradication and promotes food security in the world.
- It is a member of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- It is operating in more than 120 countries, which provides food assistance during emergencies and works with communities to enhance nutrition and generate resilience.
- It has been functioning in India since 1963.
- Funding: WFP is funded by voluntary donations from governments, corporates and private donors.
- Report released by the WFP is Global Report on Food Crisis
- The Global Report on Food Crises describes the scale of acute hunger in the world.
- It provides an analysis of the drivers that are contributing to food crises across the globe.
- The report is produced by the Global Network against Food Crises, an international alliance working to address the root causes of extreme hunger.
Q1) What is UNDP?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a global development agency established in 1965. It is the United Nations' main organization dedicated to eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, and promoting sustainable development worldwide.