UPSC Prelims 2023 Question:
Consider the following statements in relation to Janani Suraksha Yojana:
- It is a safe motherhood intervention of the State Health Departments.
- Its objective is to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality among poor.
- It aims to promote institutional delivery among poor pregnant women.
- Its objective includes providing public health facilities to sick infants up to one year of age.
How many of the statements given above are correct?
a) Only one
b) Only two
c) Only three
d) All four
Correct Answer: Option b) Only Two
Learn more about the Janani Suraksha Yojana in the given explanation below.
- Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a safe motherhood intervention under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM). JSY is a 100 % centrally sponsored scheme. So, statement 1 is not correct.
- It is being implemented with the objective of reducing maternal and neonatal mortality by promoting institutional delivery among poor pregnant women. So, statements 2 and 3 are correct.
- Under the Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakaram scheme (and not under JSY), all pregnant women and infants will get free treatment benefits at public health institutions including zero expenses delivery. So, statement 4 is not correct.
Features of Janani Surakhsa Yojana
- All pregnant women are eligible for JSY, regardless of their age, number of children, or income level.
- JSY provides cash assistance to pregnant women to cover the costs of delivery and postpartum care. The amount of cash assistance varies depending on the type of facility where the woman delivers and the state in which she resides.
- JSY also provides incentives to healthcare workers, such as ASHAs, for promoting institutional delivery.
- JSY has partnerships with private hospitals and clinics to ensure that healthcare services are available to pregnant women even in areas with limited infrastructure.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.
Subject: Polity | Government Schemes and Policies(pol)
To request a counselling call, please fill out this form: