UPSC Prelims 2023 Question:
With reference to green hydrogen, consider the following statements:
- It can be used directly as a fuel for internal combustion.
- It can be blended with natural gas and used as fuel for heat or power generation.
- It can be used in the hydrogen fuel cell to run vehicles.
How many of the above statements are correct?
a) Only one
b) Only two
c) All three
Correct Answer: Option c) All three
Learn more about the applications of green hydrogen from the given explanation below.
- Green hydrogen can be used directly as a fuel for internal combustion by a hydrogen engine (HCE). HCE is an engine that uses hydrogen (H2) as fuel. It is a modified gasoline-powered engine but doesn't emit any carbon-based pollution, which is a big benefit towards carbon neutrality. HCEs operate similarly to 4-stroke gasoline engines (ICEs). But compared to gasoline, which has an octane rating of 90 (for premium gasoline), hydrogen has a higher-octane number of 130. So, statement 1 is correct.
- Hydrogen produced through clean pathways can be injected into natural gas pipelines, and the resulting blends can be used to generate heat and power with lower emissions than using natural gas alone. So, statement 2 is correct.
- A fuel cell uses the chemical energy of green hydrogen or other fuels to cleanly and efficiently produce electricity. If hydrogen is the fuel, the only products are electricity, water, and heat. So, statement 3 is correct.
Applications of Green Hydrogen
- Globally, most of the hydrogen produced is used in the refining and industrial sectors - to make ammonia for the fertiliser industry and has applications in the steel industry.
- In developing countries such as India, which is investing in the National Hydrogen Mission, hydrogen could be used in transportation, power generation and industry.
- By the end of the decade, the International Energy Agency (IEA) anticipates that hydrogen will find a host of new applications, including powering grids and fuelling the building and transportation sectors.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.
Subject: Environment | Renewable and Energy Resources
To request a counselling call, please fill out this form: