Recently, scientists have discovered a new species of ground-dwelling gecko, a species of lizard, from the coastal forests of Kerala.
About Bent-toed Gecko:
- The beautifully-patterned Bent-toed Gecko is a small, nocturnal species.
- Its scientific name is Cyrtodactylus (Geckoella) chengodumalaens.
- It is found on the ground among leaf litter and rocks in forests and partially human-altered landscapes like orchards and other areas with canopy cover.
- It is endemic to low hills and coastal forests in northern Kerala and is known from scattered localities spanning a maximum of 120 km distance in Kozhikode, Malappuram, Palakkad, and Thrissur districts.
- It is the second new species of gecko which has been described from Chengodumala highlighting the fact that the biodiversity of these low-elevation hillocks
Q1) What is Endemism?
Endemism is an ecological classification in that it describes the range or distribution of a species or group of species.