King of Cambodia, Norodom Sihamoni, will arrive in New Delhi this afternoon on a three day visit to India.
Why in News?
- The visit marks the culmination of the celebrations of the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between India and Cambodia.
- This visit by the King of Cambodia is taking place after almost six decades, with the last being that of the current King’s father in 1963.
- Cambodia, country on the Indochinese mainland of Southeast Asia.
- Its capital is Phnom Penh.
- It is bordered to the west and northwest by Thailand, to the northeast by Laos, to the east and southeast by Vietnam and to the southwest by the Gulf of Thailand.
- The two dominant hydrological features of Cambodia are the Mekong River and the Tonle Sap (Great Lake).
- Topography: The Elephant Mountains and Cardamom Mountain of the southwest and western regions; the Dangrek Mountains of the North adjoining of the Korat Plateau of Thailand and Rattanakiri Plateau and Chhlong highlands on the east merging with the Central Highlands of Viet Nam.
- Conservation and restoration of the ancient temples of Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm and Preah Vihar are being carried out under India’s funding.
Q1) What is the meaning of cardamom mountain?
The Cardamom Hills or Yela Mala are mountain range of southern India and part of the southern Western Ghats located in Idukki district, Kerala, India. Their name comes from the cardamom spice grown in much of the hills' cool elevation, which also supports pepper and coffee.