Recently, researchers at IIT Kanpur developed a 100% DME-fuelled engine with a mechanical fuel injection system.
About Dimethyl Ether:
- It is a synthetically produced alternative to diesel for use in specially designed compression ignition diesel engines.
- It can be produced indigenously, and several countries, like Japan, USA, China, Sweden, Denmark, and Korea, are already using DME to power their vehicles.
- The DME-fuelled engine emitted extremely low particulate and soot emissions and almost no smoke without using expensive exhaust gas after-treatment devices and advanced engine technologies.
- It can be a viable alternative fuel and engine technology to adapt to conventional diesel engines used in India’s economy’s agricultural and transport sectors.
Properties of Dimethyl Ether
- It has a very high cetane number, which is a measure of the fuel's ignitibility in compression ignition engines.
- Under normal atmospheric conditions, DME is a colorless gas.
Application of Dimethyl Ether
- It is used extensively in the chemical industry and as an aerosol propellant.
- It is used in chemical industries and also to produce dyes and plastics.
Q1) What is An aerosol?
An aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in a gas. It can refer to either a natural phenomenon, such as atmospheric aerosols, or to man-made products, such as aerosol sprays.