Recently, the Chairman of Central Water Commission (CWC) launched the mobile application, "FloodWatch.
About Floodwatch App:
- This app gives information related to the flood situation and forecasts up to 7 days on a real-time basis to the public.
- The in-house developed user-friendly app has readable and audio broadcast and all the information is available in 2 languages, viz. English and Hindi.
- Other feature of the app includes real-time flood monitoring where users can check up-to-date flood situation throughout the country.
- The app utilizes near real-time river flow data from various sources.
- The app also provides flood forecast at nearest location where users can check the flood advisory at the station nearest to them on the Home Page itself.
- The app will also provide State-wise/Basin-wise Flood Forecast (up to 24 hours) or Flood Advisory (up to 7 days) which can be accessed by selecting specific stations, state wise or basin wise from the dropdown menu.
- This app utilizes advanced technologies such as satellite data analysis, mathematical modelling, and real-time monitoring to deliver accurate and timely flood forecasts.
Key facts about Central Water Commission
- It is a premier Technical Organization of India in the field of Water Resources.
- It is presently functioning as an attached office of the Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The Commission is entrusted with the general responsibilities of initiating, coordinating and furthering in consultation of the State Governments concerned, schemes for control, conservation and utilization of water resources throughout the country.
- It also undertakes the investigations, construction and execution of any such schemes as required.
- It is headed by a Chairman, with the status of Ex-Officio Secretary to the Government of India.
Q1) What is Weather?
Weather refers to the atmospheric conditions in a specific location at a given time. It includes a combination of various elements such as temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind speed, cloud cover, and atmospheric pressure.