About Green Tug Transition Programme:
- India’s first National Centre of Excellence in Green Port & Shipping (NCoEGPS) was inaugurated in Gurugram, Haryana.
- In the event ‘Green Tugs Transition Programme (GTTP)’ was launched for operating green tugs in all major ports by 2025.
- Nodal Entity: NCoEGPS will act as the nodal entity for this programme.
- India aims at becoming a ‘Global Hub for Green Ship’ building by 2030 with the launch of the Green Tug Transition Programme (GTTP).
- ‘Green Hybrid Tugs’ will be powered by Green Hybrid Propulsion systems. These Green hybrid tugs will subsequently adopt non-fossil fuel solutions like (Methanol, Ammonia, and Hydrogen).
- At least, 50% of all the Tugs are likely to be converted into Green Tugs by 2030.
What are Tugs?
- A tug boat or tugs are marine vessels that manoeuvre ships by pushing or pulling them, mostly using tow lines. They tug ships in circumstances where the ships cannot or do not move using their power like in narrow harbours, canals, etc.
Q1) What is Green port?
A green port is a port that invests and encourages environmentally friendly and sustainable operations in all formats of the ports and maritime industry.