Key Stats about India’s Defence Production


10:26 AM

1 min read
Key Stats about India’s Defence Production Blog Image


India recorded its highest-ever growth in indigenous defence production in value terms during Financial Year (FY) 2023-24, the defence ministry announced recently.

About India’s Defence Production:

  • As per the data received from all Defence Public Sector undertakings (DPSUs), other PSUs manufacturing defence items, and private companies, the value of defenceproduction in the country has gone up to a record-high figure of ₹1,26,887 crore during Financial Year (FY) 2023-24.
  • It reflects a growth of 16.7%over the defence production of the previous financial year. The value of defence production in FY 2022-23 was ₹1,08,684 crore.
  • Of the total value of production in 2023-24, 79.2% was contributed by DPSUsand other PSUs, and the remaining 20.8% by the private sector.
  • The value of defence production has grown by more than 60% since 2019-20, when it stood at ₹79,071 crore.
  • India produces a raft of weapons and systems, including the Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA), different types of helicopters, warships, tanks, artillery guns, warships, missiles, rockets, and a variety of military vehicles.
  • Defence exports also reached a record high of Rs 21,083 crore in FY 2023-24, reflecting a 32.5 percent growth over the previous fiscal’s Rs 15,920 crore.

India is currently exporting military hardware to around 85 countries.

Q1: What is Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA)?

It is the lightest, smallest and tailless multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft in its class. This aircraft is designed to carry a range of air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided, weapons. This is India's first domestically designed and manufactured supersonic fighter aircraft developed by India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

Source: Defence production hit record high of nearly ₹1.27 lakh crore in 2023-24: Defence Ministry