The Rajasthan state Forest Department has recently proposed to construct a zoo inside Keoladeo National Park.
About Keoladeo National Park:
- The Keoladeo National Park formerly known as the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary hosts thousands of birds, especially during the winter season.
- It is Located in the eastern part of Rajasthan.
- It attracts several migratory birds that make the region their breeding and wintering grounds.
- It is strategically located in the middle of the Central Asian migratory flyway.
- The Siberian crane is one of the rare species that was spotted here till about the turn of the century.
- Fauna: Sambar, Nilgai, wild cats, hyenas, wild boar, birds, including raptors and waterfowl, and Jackals.
- It is a Ramsar site and also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Q1) What is a Ramsar site?
A Ramsar site is a wetland site designated to be of international importance under the Ramsar Convention.