Legal Literacy and Legal Awareness Program (LLLAP) of the Department of Justice reaches more than 6 lakh people through 14 implementing agencies under the DISHA scheme.
About Legal Literacy and Legal Awareness Program
- · Since 2012, Department of Justice (DoJ), Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India has been implementing Access to Justice Scheme in North Eastern States including Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and in UT of Jammu & Kashmir.
- · Major focus: Legal Empowerment of community, dissemination of simplified Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials in local languages and dialects and capacity development of Panchayati Raj Functionaries and Village Chiefs on formal justice delivery system.
- · Aim: To empower the poor and disadvantaged sections of society to seek and demand justice services.
- · The Programme also seeks to improve the institutional capacities of key justice service providers to enable them to effectively serve the poor and disadvantaged.
- · Duration: DoJ has formulated a scheme on Access to Justice named ‘Designing Innovating Solutions and Holistic Access to Justice (DISHA)’ to be implemented during the period of 2021 to 2026.
- · Objectives
- o Use of Technology for enhanced delivery of legal literacy, its Knowledge Products and implementation of Innovative and Holistic ideas.
- o Mainstreaming legal literacy through building and forging partnerships across Ministries and allied Departments, Institutions, Schools etc.
- o Capacity Building and Utilization of Existing Grassroot/frontline Workers/ Volunteers.
- o Developing Indicators to measure Legal Literacy and Legal Awareness in India.Concurrent Evaluation and Assessment of Legal Literacy and Legal Awareness Programmes.
Q1) What is Panchayati Raj?
It is a system of local self-government of India. Panchayati Raj institutions (PRIs) are an integral part of India's decentralized governance structure and have been established to facilitate local decision-making, planning, and development.