About National Green Tribunal:
- The National Green Tribunal has been established under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010.
- New Delhi is the Principal Place of Sitting of the Tribunal and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the Tribunal.
- NGT is mandated to make disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of the filing of the same.
What is the composition of NGT?
- The Tribunal comprises the Chairperson, the Judicial Members, and Expert Members.
- They shall hold office for a term of 5 years and are not eligible for reappointment.
- The Chairperson is appointed by the Central Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- A Selection Committee shall be formed by the central government to appoint the Judicial Members and Expert Members.
- There are to be at least 10 and a maximum of 20 full-time Judicial members and Expert Members in the tribunal.
Powers & Jurisdiction
- Established for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
- It has appellate jurisdiction to hear appeals as a Court.
- he Tribunal is not bound by the procedure laid down under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, but shall be guided by principles of natural justice.
Q1)What is an appellate jurisdiction?
It is the power of the higher court to review the decision or change the result of the decisions made by the lower courts that are called appellate jurisdiction.