Recently, the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) launched a rating and certification initiative called ‘Nest’.
About NEST initiative
- It is to promote sustainable and eco-friendly constructions in the domestic housing sector.
- It would help pave the way for individual house owners and the residential sector to adopt green building features in a big way to help in bringing down electricity consumption, water usage and creating a healthy living space.
Key facts about the Indian Green Building Council
- It is part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and was formed in the year 2001.
- It is India's Premier certification body.
- The council offers a wide array of services, which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises the Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
- It is also among the 5 countries that are on the board of the World Green Building Council, discussing global issues at COP and similar global platforms.
- The rating is based on six environmental categories, which include sustainable station facility, health, hygiene and sanitation, energy efficiency, water efficiency, smart and green initiatives and innovation and development.
- Headquarter: Hyderabad.
Q1) What is Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)?
It is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry led and industry managed organisation, playing a proactive role in India’s development process. It is India’s premier business association, with a direct membership of over 7500 organisations from the private as well as public sectors.