Recently a national campaign for updation and verification of People’s Biodiversity Register was launched in Goa , marking a significant step towards the documentation and preservation of India's rich biological diversity.
What is People’s biodiversity register?
- PBR serves as a comprehensive record of various aspects of biodiversity, including the conservation of habitats, preservation of land races, domesticated stocks and breeds of animals, micro-organisms, and the accumulation of knowledge related to the area's biological diversity.
- So far, 2,67,608 PBRs have been prepared by Biodiversity Management Committees in different states.
- There is a plan to set up PBR in every village across the country under Mission LiFE (lifestyle for environment) which is conceived to conserve the planet earth through mindful utilisation of natural resources and various other actions at individual and community levels in the country.
Biodiversity Management Committees
- As per the Biological Diversity Act 2002, BMCs are created for “promoting conservation, sustainable use and documentation of biological diversity” by local bodies across the country.
- BMCs have been constituted by the local bodies in the States and Union Territories and are entrusted with preparation of the PBRs in consultation with local communities.
Mission LiFE (Lifestyle for Environment)
- Led by India, mission LiFE is a global plan of action that aims to save the planet from the disastrous consequences of climate change.
- Vision: This mission envisions replacing the prevalent ‘use-and-dispose’ economy with a circular economy.
- Objective: To promote an environmentally conscious lifestyle that focuses on ‘mindful and deliberate utilisation’ instead of ‘mindless and wasteful consumption’.
Q1) What is meant by land races?
Landraces are defined as dynamic populations of a cultivated plant with a historical origin, distinct identity, often genetically diverse and locally adapted, and associated with a set of farmers' practices of seed selection and field management as well as with a farmers' knowledge base