Recently, NHPC Limited and Vidhyut Utpadan Company Limited (VUCL), Nepal signed an MoU for development of Phukot Karnali Hydro Electric Project (480MW) in Nepal.
About Phukot Karnali Hydro Electric Project:
- It is located in Kalikot district, Karnali Province of Nepal.
- The project will use the flow from the Karnali River for power generation and the generated power will be fed into integrated power system of Nepal.
- Key features of the project:
- The installed capacity of the project shall be 480 MW with average annual generation of about 2448 GWh.
- 109 metre high RCC dam and an underground power house where the 06 turbines of 79 MW each shall be housed.
- To utilize minimum environmental release one Surface Power House of 6 MW capacity is also planned.
- This project is conceived as a Peaking Run-of-River (PRoR) type scheme.
Other Hydropower project betwwen India and Nepal:
- Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project: on Mahakali River.
- Lower Arun Hydroelectric Project : on Arun River (tributary of Koshi River)
About National Hydro Electric Power Corporation Private Limited (NHPC)
- NHPC Limited, a Schedule ‘A’ Enterprise of the Government of India with ‘MINI RATNA’ status, is a premier PSU in India for development of hydropower.
- It was incorporated in 1975 under Companies Act, 1956.
- The company is mandated to plan, promote and organize an integrated and efficient development of power in all its aspects through Conventional and Non-Conventional Sources in India and abroad.
Q1) What is a Mini Ratna?
The CPSEs which have made profit in the last three years continuously, pre-tax profit is Rs.30 crores or more in at least one of the three years and have a positive net worth are eligible to be considered for grant of Miniratna-I status.