About Kendu leaf:
- Kendu leaf is called the green gold of Odisha.
- It is a nationalized product like Bamboo and Sal seed.
- It is one of the most important non-wood forest products of Odisha.
- It is also referred to as tendu leaf in some parts of the country and is used to roll tobacco into bidis (local cigarettes).
- The states producing kendu leaves in India comprise mainly Madhya Pradesh, Chhatisgarh, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Gujarat, and Maharastra.
- Odisha is the third-largest producer of kendu leaf after Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
Q1) Which are the major non-wood forest products?
The major non-wood forest products of socio-economic importance are leaves, bamboo and canes, gums, resin and oleo-resin, oil-seeds, essential oil including oil yielding grasses, fibers and flosses, grasses than oil yielding grasses, tans and dyes , drugs and species, animal products and edible products, etc.