The Indian Embassy in Kathmandu and the Indian Consulate General in Birgunj recently held a series of events on the LiFE mission.
About LiFE Mission:
- Mission LiFE, or Lifestyle for Environment, is an India-led global mass movement to nudge individual and community action to protect and preserve the environment.
- It was launched by the Indian Prime Minister at the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow in November 2021.
- The program hopes to “mobilize one billion Indians as well as people in other countries to become individuals who practice sustainable lifestyles.
- The global movement will showcase sustainable goals and climate actions taken by countries and individuals around the world.
- It makes the fight against climate change democratic, in which everyone can contribute with their respective capacities.
- It emboldens the spirit of the P3 model, i.e. Pro Planet People.
- It functions on the basic principles of ‘Lifestyle of the planet, for the planet and by the planet’.
- It aims at following a three-pronged strategy for changing people's collective approach towards sustainability,
- nudging individuals to practice simple yet effective environment-friendly actions in their daily lives (demand)
- enabling industries and markets to respond swiftly to the changing demand (supply)
- to influence government and industrial policy to support both sustainable consumption and production (policy).
Q1) What is UNFCCC?
UNFCCC stands for the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. It is an international treaty established in 1992 during the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The primary objective of the UNFCCC is to address the issue of global climate change and its impacts on the environment and societies.