The Vice-President inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit in New Delhi recently.
About World Sustainable Development (WSDS) Summit
- It is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- Instituted in 2001, the Summit series has a legacy of over two decades of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal.
- It is the only independently convened international summit on sustainable development and environment, based in the Global South.
- WSDS strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of global communities by assembling the world’s most enlightened leaders and thinkers on a single platform.
- WSDS 2024 is the 23rd edition of the summit.
- WSDS 2024 will take place on the theme ‘Leadership for the Sustainable Development and Climate Justice’.
Key Facts about The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
- TERI is a leading think tank dedicated to conducting research for sustainable development of India and the Global South.
- It is an independent, multi-dimensional organization, with capabilities in research, policy, consultancy, and implementation.
- TERI was established in 1974 as an information centre on energy issues.
- Research activities, initiated towards the end of 1982, were rooted in TERI’s firm conviction that efficient utilization of energy and sustainable use of natural resources would propel the process of development.
- It’s work across sectors is focused on
- Promoting efficient use of resources
- Increasing access to and uptake of sustainable inputs and practices
- Reducing the impact on environment and climate
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
Q1) What are Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals, were adopted by the United Nations in 2015 as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that by 2030 all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The 17 SDGs are integrated—they recognize that action in one area will affect outcomes in others, and that development must balance social, economic and environmental sustainability.