About Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan :
- The Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan has been launched by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India.
- The program aims to provide assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care, free of cost, universally to all pregnant women on the 9th of every month.
- It guarantees a minimum package of antenatal care services to women in their 2nd / 3rd trimesters of pregnancy at designated government health facilities.
- The programme follows a systematic approach for engagement with private sector which includes motivating private practitioners to volunteer for the campaign developing strategies for generating awareness and appealing to the private sector to participate in the Abhiyan at government health facilities.
- It envisages to improve the quality and coverage of Antenatal Care (ANC) including diagnostics and counselling services as part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Strategy.
Objectives of the program:
- Ensure at least one antenatal checkup for all pregnant women in their second or third trimester by a physician/specialist
- Improve the quality of care during ante-natal visits. This includes ensuring provision of the following services:
- All applicable diagnostic services
- Screening for the applicable clinical conditions
- Appropriate management of any existing clinical condition such as Anaemia, Pregnancy induced hypertension, Gestational Diabetes etc.
- Appropriate counselling services and proper documentation of services rendered
- Additional service opportunity to pregnant women who have missed ante-natal visits
- Identification and line-listing of high risk pregnancies based on obstetric/ medical history and existing clinical conditions.
- Appropriate birth planning and complication readiness for each pregnant woman especially those identified with any risk factor or comorbid condition.
- Special emphasis on early diagnosis, adequate and appropriate management of women with malnutrition.
- Special focus on adolescent and early pregnancies as these pregnancies need extra and specialized care.
- One of the critical components of the Abhiyan is identification and follow up of high risk pregnancies.
- A sticker indicating the condition and risk factor of the pregnant women would be added onto MCP card for each visit:
- Green Sticker- for women with no risk factor detected
- Red Sticker – for women with high risk pregnancy
Q1) What is RMNCH+A strategy?
Following the Government of India’s “Call to Action Summit” in February, 2013, the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare launched Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn Child plus Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) to influence the key interventions for reducing maternal and child morbidity and mortality.
Source: All India Radio