Konkan 2023, the bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the UK's Royal Navy, was recently held off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea.
About Exercise Konkan 2023:
- Konkan exercise is the annual bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the UK’s Royal Navy.
- INS Trishul, a guided missile frigate, and HMS Lancaster, a Type 23 guided missile frigate, participated in this edition.
- They undertook multiple maritime drills to enhance interoperability between the two forces and imbibe best practices.
- The exercises covered all domains of maritime operations, air, surface, and sub-surface.
- It included gunnery shoots on the surface inflatable target ‘Killer Tomato’, helicopter operations, anti-air, and anti-submarine warfare drills, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS), ship maneuvers, and exchange of personnel.
- The exercise will help the Indian Navy and Royal Navy work together to improve maritime security and maintain a rules-based order in the region.
Q1) Where is the Konkan coast?
Konkan coast also known as Kokan is located in the western part of the country's coastline and covers the coastal districts of the western Indian state of Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Goa.